Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Preparing To Leave Barbury Castle, July 29


As I am writing this blog, the team horses are happy in their stalls getting fluids prior to the big trip ahead of them. The last 10 days here in the U.K. have been amazing. A big thank you needs to go out to Nigel Bunter, Simon Wells and John Boy of Barbury Castle, who have made this quarantine very comfortable for the horses and all people involved.

Simon, the property manager, has been amazing in catering to all our needs, no matter what the task. The last few days have had their ups and down with the very sad goodbye to Farley [Northern Spy, who was withdrawn for veterinary reasons], Heidi White and her groom Colby Saddington; only people who have been in that situation know how difficult that is. It's crap.

This morning was an early morning start with typical gray British weather. We all jogged up for the final inspections by vets and selectors. Glad to say there were no added surprises. The rest of the day consisted of easy hacking for the boys and then big-time packing skills put to the test to have all equipment ready to go by noon. I think all were surprised at how little we accumulated...hopefully the airline will be as impressed!!

Max Corcoran, Allyson Green and Aubrey Dunkerton, grooms for Karen O’Connor, Amy Tryon and Becky Holder, all left this evening to fly to Hong Kong. I get to do the trip with the horses and veterinarian Sarah Gold.

For me personally, I will be sorry to leave my homeland so soon, although I have managed to see many friends and family who I have not seen in two years. However, I am chomping at the bit to get this adventure on the road. With a 4:30am start the horses have a very long day ahead, but I feel they are all well prepared to deal with all that is put in their paths.

The next update will be from Hong Kong so until then, take care.......

No comments: